22 September 2013

On friendship


This may make me sound like a sullen teenager, but I know I'm not the only one who has thought about who truly cares. If I were to get in an accident tomorrow who would come visit me at the hospital?

One of life's ongoing lessons is learning who your true friends are. As you grow in and out of phases of your life, some friends phase out as well. I've now learned that sometimes friends are there for only a short time, to get you through that part of your life, and are meant to leave. But it's always hard to know who's always going to be there.

When I was a freshman in college, I asked a new friend if she thought we'd be friends forever. She said she did, and we have been ever since. (Love you Steph)

When I walked into my high school sophomore German class, I had no idea the impact Charlie would make on my life. He's been an amazing friend for 8 years.

Caty has helped me tremendously by selflessly getting me on the right track with my finances, even though she has a husband, a toddler, and a baby ninja on the way.

As adults, we need to stand on our own, and when life knocks us off our asses, that's when we'll find out who will lay down with you in the grass and bitch about men (Brittany, Little), distract you with humor (Riley, Zairy & Eric), hold you while you cry like a toddler (more people than I can count...) or who will give you a hard dose of reality that you need to hear (Scott, Nathan).

I could go on and on and on with people who have impacted my life, especially over the last 6 months, so please don't be offended if you're not on this list. If I listed everyone I love, this post would be so long and probably still incomplete.

But my point is, your friends aren't there to support you all the time. The truest friends aren't always the ones you talk to everyday, but they're the ones that you can pick up the phone and it'll be like no time has passed.

"Don't chase people; BE YOU. Do your own thing and work hard. The right people who belong in your life will come to you, and stay." - Unknown


post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I feel like I've seen so many friends come and go the last few years, but then I think about how wonderful it is seeing who has stuck around and realizing they will be life long friends. I'm glad we've stuck around for each other.

Love, Stephanie