13 January 2013

Review: Looper {no spoilers}


{via}
I was initially reluctant to see this film, despite my celebrity crush, Joseph Gordon-Levitt starring in it. The trailer didn't reveal much about the movie and it just didn't pique my interest.



And then I read the reviews:

Yes, it's a B movie sci-fi thriller, but not many prestige pictures have this much going on underneath the surface. Tom Charity

Writer-director Rian Johnson establishes himself as an original talent who clearly believes storytelling must prevail. Richard Roeper

Joseph Gordon-Levitt continues to prove to be one of the best actors at selecting scripts. Phil Villarreal

I have to agree with Mr. Villarreal. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is not only one of my favorite actors for his good looks and acting talent, but he -- much like Leonardo DiCaprio -- tends to choose his scripts wisely.

In Looper, Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) plays a complicated and slightly superficial character that every man with an arrogant ego can hope to achieve. Bruce Willis plays the older character of Joe, who is worlds apart from his younger self.

The best part of this movie is the storyline, which can be complicated (think Butterfly Effect) but is exciting and easy to follow. Emily Blunt also has an American farmgirl accent and doesn't look too bad with a shotgun in her hand.


{via}

Final verdict: see the movie. It's a great one, and it's out on Redbox. post signature

1 comment:

Dan O. said...

Everybody’s good, the writing is top-notch, and the direction kept me on the edge of my seat, but there was a human element that just didn’t come around full-circle for me. I really liked this movie, but I didn’t love it and that’s a bit disappointing considering all of the hype. Good review.