09 March 2013

List of 30: 08 What are 5 passions you have?


{list of 30}

pas·sion



[pash-uhn]
noun
1. any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.
2. strong amorous feeling or desire; love; ardor.
3.strong sexual desire; lust.
4. an instance or experience of strong love or sexual desire.
5. a person toward whom one feels strong love or sexual desire.
I'm assuming the prompt is referring to context No. 1, since I doubt anyone wants to hear about my sexual desires (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Justin Timberlake, & Enrique Iglesias, if you're wondering). 

PASSION ONE: LANGUAGE

I currently can converse in Spanish & German and I am learning French and American Sign Language on my own using RadioLingua Coffee Break podcasts and Duolingo

I have a list of other languages to tackle later in life and I'm a complete and total grammar nazi.

I also have a love for English. As one of the most desirable languages to learn in the world, I consider myself privileged to be a native speaker. 

It really is a crazy language when you think about it and completely backwards from how most other languages are constructed. 



PASSION TWO: BOOKS

This goes hand in hand with languages, since it is the written language. In my humble opinion, they keep books next to the something that is better than chocolate, which as we all know, is a hard find. 

I can learn more about myself through fictional characters than I could by visiting a therapist.  

I do have my personal tastes in what constitutes good books, but I'm always open for recommendations. Goodreads is one of my favorite social networking sites. I check it more than Facebook.

For those who say they "don't like to read" I fully challenge you to try to find a book that indulges your interest. It doesn't have to be long or well known.

It's a matter of personal tastes and expanding your imagination to places you never thought you could go.


read.

This isn't limited to novels and memoirs. I love books of all sorts. Children's books, notebooks, planners, journals; anything bound and with paper, I will most likely love to at least, browse.

THREE: TRAVEL 

Are you sensing a theme here? 
There's a word Germans use called "fernweh"


fernweh 
Personally, I think us Americans don't appreciate our own country enough. There's so much in this big beautiful country we call home, yet when we say we're going somewhere domestic that isn't a major city, it's not as exciting.  

Why?  

I get that Franklin, Tennessee may not be as exciting as say, Paris or London, but if it's some place you haven't been before, it's still an adventure. 

The adventure lies within yourself, not the place you're going. 

That said, while I've "only" been to Germany, I've been plenty of places domestically. Currently I'm planning a three week solo trip to Berlin, Paris, Madrid, and Barcelona. 

In the meantime, I'll be heading to Missoula, Montana next weekend to celebrate my birthday and to Leavenworth, Washington for Oktoberfest later this year. 

Explore your own backyard if you can't explore another continent.

FOUR: ANIMALS  

I always grew up with some sort of pet and animal. I wanted to be veterinarian. I helped my family raise several litters of Shar Pei puppies.  

There's something so beautiful about the loyalty of your pet and the bond it creates. I petsit because I can get my animal fix (Apartment management won't allow pets). I can't wait to have a four legged friend around.  

I am also a vegetarian, partly due to how the animals are treated before and during slaughter (I won't get into that).  

My best dog ever is named Mollie. She's a 12 year old Shar Pei and still has the energy to be the biggest brat I've ever known. She lives in Albuquerque with my mom. 

 (In case you were wondering, my favorite animals are dogs, elephants, and pandas --- next to dinosaurs.)

Me with one of the Shar Pei puppies we've rasied

FIVE: NON-PROFITS

It's hard to pin down just one non-profit organization to feature. I'm openly a proud member of Alpha Omicron Pi Women's Fraternity and as such, I support our international philanthropy (definition here) of Juvenile Arthritis Research

I've served on the Executive Board for my university's Up Til Dawn event for St. Jude's Children's Hospital

I've volunteered as a Big Sister for Big Brother's Big Sisters and at my local animal shelter (find yours here)

Obviously, I have a love for books and literature, and try to support literacy and education organizations such as my local library (find yours here) and Room to Read

It'd be pointless to list all the organizations I believe in and support, so I'll end there. The point is, I believe in giving back.  I believe in doing my part to better this world and that as an individual, I can make a difference. 


Volunteer. 

Not sure where to start or what organizations are near you?  Start here



What are you passionate about?
 post signature

1 comment:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

These are great things to be passionate about! I am totally checking out radio lingua and duolingo now...and I am all for realizing how many things we have in America. I think we have this beautiful country and I used to think that my life wasn't good unless I went abroad all of the time, but this country is HUGE and there is so much to it.

I totally have been to Franklin before! My parents live two hours away from Nashville and we have had to go up there for church stuff before- what a small, small world.

I would say something I am passionate about in life is making people feel included and trying to help people see what they are good at- it makes sense that I am a special education teacher with these qualities.